Thursday, February 2, 2012

Supporting Children with a Disability | Sharing Their Stories


Welcome to my first official blog.  This should be fun!  
For the last twenty odd years, I have had the pleasure of working with some amazing individuals who’s lives are not as easy as ours.  
These children have inspired and captivated me with their stories.  They are the reason that my partner Scott and myself created the Heartwell Foundation.  
Of course each child and their story is different. Some are sad, some happy, some angry, some nervous and timid.  Yet through all these, there has consistently been a common thread.  Courage and determination and the overwhelming desire to be “normal” and “just like everyone else”.
Of course everyone knows that it is not really possible for a child with say Cerebral Palsy or Spina Bifida or Prader Willi or Developmental Delay or Aquired Brain Injury or Paraplegia or Autism or Brain Tumors etc etc, to be “just like everyone else”.  
OR IS IT?
The need to be active and for movement is inherent in all of us.  To be physically fit and strong is a wonderful feeling.  To participate in a sport and game playing is lots of fun.  So too for children with disabilities.  Given the right opportunity and support I have watched so many of these children blossom.  Confidence is a wonderful thing.
Join me as I share some of the stories of the children who have walked through our door.

3 comments:

  1. I will gladly be a long distance follower reading your blogs from the comfort of my living room in Spain! It's hard to believe that you've been working to help disabled children for 20 years already.I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having seen first hand the wonderful work you do with these children, I encourage others to join the Heartwell community. Keep up your great work Julienne and Scott
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I appreciate your support. Please stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete