Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ben Loves Swimming.


I want to talk about Ben who I have only met recently.  He turned nine years old a couple of weeks ago and sadly he is not very well.  One of the things Ben used to enjoy before he became unwell, was swimming.  He wanted to get back in the water and have some fun but he requires much support.  Hence to my good fortune I had the opportunity to meet the amazing Ben.
In the past month Ben has also developed sudden onset total vision loss.
A scary predicament to be in a noisy, unfamiliar public environment and to attempt physical activity in total darkness and with little muscular strength or endurance.   Not for Ben.  He is amazing.  With a slow start we quickly progressed to duck diving, floating, various strokes, somersaults and finished with a massive bomb.  It really was a big splash Ben!!
Ben has not been in the water for years, but no one would have known that.  Any activity I suggested we try, he is up for.  He really is very inspirational and brave.  Well done Ben, great swimming.  I hope you are reading this!


Ben and myself last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment